VR MANCHESTER PRESENT ‘READY PLAYER ONE’ LAN PARTY
On Saturday March 24th we’re hosting VR Manchester‘s ‘Ready Player One’ LAN party to mark the launch of the film in cinemas the week after.
If you would like to attend this event as either a spectator or to bring along your own VR kit, click here to register via Eventbrite.
Please see below for what’s happening on March 24th, in VR Manchester’s own words:
With ‘Ready Player One’ hitting cinemas next month, we decided it was finally time to follow through on our dreams and organise a LAN Party with a VR twist. The Sharp Project have a huge atrium space with plenty of power, and are super excited to help us try to bring this idea to life.
If you don’t have a VR rig, that’s fine – you’re still welcome to drop in and hang out. Just select the ‘spectator’ ticket on the Eventbrite. We’ll have screens set up so you can watch the action, and you’re welcome to bring your own entertainment (Nintendo Switch, anyone?). There’s also a fully stocked cafe and bar, with food and refreshments available throughout the day.
If you’re wanting a space for your rig:
- You’ll need a HTC Vive, Oculus Rift or PSVR. We’re expecting to play Onward, Star Trek: Bridge Crew, and Rec Room – but more suggestions welcome!
- If you have a PC, you will need WiFi.
- There’s a free car parking at the Sharp Project. If you don’t have your own vehicle, rope in a friend to be your VRoadie for the day.
- Spots are limited, so there’s a £5.98 fee to secure your “playspace”. We’re doing this so there’s some commitment and we can therefore be fairly confident of having enough people to make it worthwhile.
See below for more details on what you’ll get for this.
If you have a Vive, grabbing some 2m light stands is highly preferable to make sure you’ve got coverage. Also, bring your sync cable!
This is the first time we’ve tried this, so we’re expecting technical issues aplenty. Be ready to troubleshoot with us (so bring all of your spare adapters/dongles/extension leads/power strips etc), and bear with us if it isn’t quite up and running straightaway.
What will the money go towards?
Eventbrite charge 6.5% + 49p booking fee + VAT, meaning we’ll have about £4.67 left from your £5.98 payment. You can:
- Get a refund at the end of the day
- Part exchange the money for drinks/food at The Sharp Project
- Donate it to VR Manchester (we’ll use it towards our Meetup.com fees, and other ad-hoc expenses when running our normal events)
If the event is a success, we’ll look to do more, only bigger and better. We’d love your help to make this happen, and have a bunch of fun along the way.
Click here to register via Eventbrite
Click here to see photos for the last VR Manchester event
& if you’ve not seen the trailer for the VR-inspired ‘Ready Player One’, here it is: